What does “glamour” mean to you? To me, glamour is the attractive, enticing, heightened quality that makes someone really stand out in a crowd. It’s about allure, fascination, charm, mystique and maybe even a little bit of magic. It’s that quality that makes every girl feel red-carpet ready. I think that everyone should feel glamorous every day, and especially on a special night like New Year’s Eve.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — everyday beauty is about simplicity and economy. My philosophy doesn’t really change all that much when it comes to New Year’s. If anything, it’s a night to reinforce the most important feature of all… a feature that is timeless and will never go out of style. I’m talking about clear, radiant, youthful skin. It’s the look of health, and the look of optimum beauty. Your complexion is always the most important foundation and accessory to your overall look, and it’s the key to looking like a million dollars on NYE, and every day of the year.
So how do you achieve glamorous, glowing skin for your New Year’s Eve celebration? Get started with my six favorite tips...
- Moisturize. Locking in moisture to nourish your skin is the number one priority for a beautiful complexion. It’s something I believe in and value above everything else, and that’s why I’ve designed my luxury skincare line, RAGS II Riches
- Banish dark circles. You never want to use more concealer than is necessary, or your skin will become cakey and heavy instead of light and fresh. Choose a creamy formula for under eye circles and make sure to match your skin tone. The last thing you want is raccoon eyes in your New Year’s Eve Instagram photos, so make sure not to pick a concealer that’s too light for your skin
- Pick a luxurious, airy makeup base. Again, avoid makeup that’s too heavy. Use a wide brush to paint lines on your cheekbones, the sides of your nose, and above the brows, then blend
- Correct and perfect. After you’ve applied your base, add a touch more concealer to any blemishes that are still showing through. Just dab a teeny drop right on the spot, then avoid cakey-ness by using your finger to pat the perimeter outward until it’s smooth and completely covered
- Powder power. For that added staying power, apply a powder over top of your base to absorb any oil and to lock your makeup in for longer wear
- Use a makeup highlighter. This is to create dimension and to emphasize the features that you really want to bring out, especially for a more dramatic look on New Year’s Eve. It’s the key to adding a shimmery, glamorous glow to your look. You can really alter the shape of your face, downplay certain features and accent others, like your cheekbones. This is how to make certain features stand out and pop. You’ll want to emphasize certain high points of your face; along with the cheekbones, think temples, brow bones, the bridge of the nose, the apples of your cheeks and the jaw bone. A few strokes can sculpt your face and balance your features while giving your skin a natural, glamorous, beautiful glow
When picking your colors, you want to create a barely there, natural look. To do so, you need to create a skillful balance between your foundation, liquid highlighter and blush.
Use the same brush that you used for your foundation to apply your highlighter. Place a small amount of the highlighter on the highest point of your cheekbone and sweep up toward your temple. For the eyes, add a little shimmer to the brow bone — this will brighten your eyes and give you a brow-lifted effect.
It’s a good idea to choose a makeup highlighter that contains shimmery pearls with many different shades of beige, gold, brown, pink and orange.
When it comes to ringing in the New Year, it’s not a matter of transforming into someone other than you usually are, it’s about elevating your look to that next level where you feel glamourous.
I hope that you look and feel fabulous and that you have a very happy New Year!